Saturday, April 23, 2011

The Other Woman

We can talk for hours or minutes,
Seconds or days.
It has always been this way,
Ever since I dropped by your work
On my way back from a concert.
Later, we're at your house
And you kiss me,
I react to your touch more than
I have to anyone else's.
Somehow you slipped through walls
That I had thought unbreachable.
That scared me so I chased you off,
Hoped and feared you hated me.

Now I have a boyfriend,
He says he loves me, and treats me with care.
Then he wants to fuck all the time
And I'm tired and I have to be up at 7:30.
I let him touch me so I can go back to sleep.

You shattered your leg and you should be dead,
Doped up on Vicodin, you ask someone else out.
You still hate me and she accepts.
We don't talk for a long time.

Now you message me,
"Things aren't going so good," you say.
We start talking again.
I missed you, but I can't say it.
We talk for a long time, a couple of months,
Then you invite me over.

We sit and watch TV and drink,
We talk, and laugh,
We remember how things used to be,
Before I got scared.
We fall into bed with each other
And when morning comes
Neither of us tell.
We see each other once a week now.

Now it's a month or so later.
Now my boyfriend is jealous and he won't tell me,
Throws a tantrum whenever I forget something.
He makes me cry and you listen.
Now your girlfriend is tearing you apart,
You don't want to hurt her
So I listen and try to mend the chaos she causes.
We keep falling into bed with each other.
I am the Other Woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment